- Definition : A test given at the end of a course to test whether the learners have assimilated what has been taught, have passed the course, and therefore (potentially) are ready to go on to the next level.
- Example : many coursebooks include an "end of course" test, which can be used for this purpose
- In order to have content validity the test should only include items which have actually been taught on the course, and provide representative coverage of those items.
- An achievement test will have a summative purpose - ie will be designed to see whether the student has passed or failed the course.
- Other types of test include placement tests, diagnostic tests, progress tests and proficiency tests. Each has a different purpose and therefore different characteristics.
(Remember that Amazon will often have used copies of book you want which are much cheaper than the advertised price. You can also "Look Inside" this book and see the contents in detail. It's always worth checking out - and no, we don't earn anything from your clicks.)