An ELT Glossary : Converse Antonyms




  • Definition : Pairs of "opposites" in which one term implies the other. 

  • Examples : 
          lend-borrow : if I lend you something, then you borrow it.
          parent -child : if I am your parent, then you are my child. 
          above - below : if X is above Y then Y is below X. 

  • Can cause problems for students if their own language does not have the distinction. Eg Italian prestare = both lend and borrow

  • Adjectives like fast and slow are gradable rather than converse, so not fast does not necessarily mean slow. However, their comparative forms are converse - if you are faster than me, then I am slower than you.


Related Reading

McCarthy, M. 1990, Vocabulary, OUP




(Don't forget that Amazon often has both new and used copies of the books you want at prices lower than those shown here. It's always worth clicking to find out - and no, we don't earn anything fron your clicks!)