- Definition : The phoneme /j/, as in yes /jes/ and you /ju:/ - a voiced palatal approximant.
- The yod is one of three "intrusive consonants" used in connected speech to link adjacent vowel sounds, as in Three of (them) /θri:jəv/ or We aren't /wi:jɑ:nt/
- Further reading from An ELT Notebook : English Consonant Sounds
- Definition / The tendency of a final /t/ or /d/ followed by an initial /j/ to blend into an affricate - /ʧ/ or /ʤ/ respectively.
- Examples : Got you! in connected speech is likely to be pronounced /gɒʧu:/ rather than /gɒt ju:/; Would you becomes /wʊʤu:/ rather than /wʊd ju:/