Teaching the so-called "conditionals" - pre-viewing task

 

Have a look at the beginnings and possible ends of these conversations. How do  they relate to the so-called “three conditionals” (or four if you’re being generous)? How many other beginning and end clauses, each using a different structure, can you add for each? Which of them describe “real” events, and which describe hypothetical events?

 

1.  If you see John, ...  

  • let’s invite him for dinner
  • would you tell him I’m not going this evening? 
  • don’t tell him I’m in!
  • you should apologise for last night.

2.  If it’s raining this afternoon,... 

  • I’m not going.
  • I don’t want to go. 
  • let’s stay at home.
  • we had better stay at home.

3.  If Karen has arrived,             

  • we can start.
  • shall we go for coffee?
  • I won’t need to bother David.

4.  If Helen will help us,...            

  • we should get things done fairly quickly.
  • that solves the problem.
  • we’ve solved the problem, more or less. 
  • we can do it all on Monday.

5.  If Pat was there yesterday,...  

  • why didn’t they tell me?
  • they should have told me.
  • she’ll probably have told Alan everything. 
  • she probably isn’t coming today.

6.  If Helen would help us,...        

  • it would make things much easier.
  • we could do it all on Monday.
  • we would have solved the problem, more or less.

7.  If the earth was flat,...          

  • Columbus would have fallen off the edge.
  • there are a few people I might be tempted to push off.

8.  If I hadn’t had the accident,... 

  • I’d be on the beach at the moment
  • I might be on the beach at the moment.